This book is about the scholar religious leaders of the HAZAN family who lived in Izmir for more than 400 years. In every generation there were one or two “CHIEF RABBIS” who were responsible for different cities of the Ottoman Empire.
They all wrote a lot of books about questions asked by people, writing the answers according to Halacha - Shulhan Arukh (Responsa Literature). We must remember that the legislation system in Ottoman Empire depended on “Religious Laws.”. Therefore the chief rabbis were also the leader of “the law system” just as “Sheyhulislam” in the Muslim population. The names of the Hazan ancestors written in this book are all taken from well known jewish encyclopedias.
The great secular leader AARON DE YOSEPH HAZAN is written in the second part of this book (1848 -1931)
- Named as “LEV TOV = GOOD HEART”, was a great leader in the Jewish community of Izmir.
- He has founded the newspaper "LA BUENA ESPERANSA" and kept it alive by himself for 41years
- He was the first teacher of Modern Turkish in the Jewish community for 50 years.
- He was the first who opened "The Girls school" in Izmir.
- He made great efforts in order to have the Beth-Israel synagogue built.
- He established Karatash Hospital and created Liga.
- He set up the Ozer Dalim charity society and became it’s president for 50 years.
- Rav Hayim Palachi was his cousin.
- There are many chief rabbi cousins in his family.
- THE OTTOMAN STATE AND THE JEWS
- CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION IN THE OTTOMAN STATE JEWS
- LIFE IN THE OTTOMAN STATE
- LAW IN THE OTTOMAN STATE
- THE JEWISH HISTORY OF IZMIR
- THE 400TH YEAR CELEBRATIONS
THE FAMILY OF AARON DE YOSEPH HAZAN
- HIS UNIQUE PERSONALITY
- HIS HONORARY PRESIDENCE IN THE COMMUNITY ADMINISTRATION
- THE FIRST TURKISH TEACHER
- THE ARTISAN AND AGRICULTURE SCHOOL
- THE KARATASH HOSPITAL
- THE BETH – ISRAEL SYNAGOGUE
- AND HIS DEATH….OR HIS IMMORTALITY
- AFTER THE DEATH OF AARON DE YOSEF HAZAN, IZMIR (1931-2000)
- THE CULTURE ASSOCIATION – LIGA
- THE BETH-ISRAEL SYNAGOGUE
- THE JEWISH PRIMARY SCHOOL – TALMUD TORAH
OUR PRESENT FAMILY
- Dr. Alberto Hazan
- GIZEL (ENDER) HAZAN
- “THE WOMAN IN THE NEW WORLD SETTLEMENT
- BELIZ HAZAN
- JACOB CEKI HAZAN
- A LETTER FROM THE PARENTS (Year, 2000)
- TO MY CHILDREN (Year, 2000)